March 9, 2011

Pork and Saurkraut Made with 3 Cans of Yuengling Lager or "Drunkin Pork and Kraut"

Ahhh sauerkraut and pork, they go together like peanut butter and jelly, ham and eggs, milk and Pepsi...well maybe not milk and Pepsi, but sauerkraut and pork were made for each other…meant to be together forever.

My dad use to make this supper for us when we were kids, and he would add just a little beer to the pot of kraut! Well I’m taking this idea of my dad’s one step further.  I add not one but three cans of Yuengling’s lager to my recipe. I made this for my family the other night and they went gaga over it. This recipe is very easy and simple to make. I round out the pork and sauerkraut with pierogies tossed in during the last few minutes of cooking. I do make my own pierogies, but for the sake of time I will occasionally use the store bought brand “Mrs. T’s”
Ingredients:
4-5 boneless center cut pork chops
1/3 cup flour seasoned with Lowery’s seasoned salt
4 T olive oil for sautéing
One 32 oz bag of sauerkraut, drained (I use the Hatfield’s kraut because it only has 180 mg of sodium as compared to others.)
3 cans of Yuengling lager
½ c low sodium beef broth
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp of fresh rosemary chopped
And pepper to taste

Method:

Heat oil in pot or deep skillet and dredge the pork chops through the flour shaking off the excess. When oil is hot, place the chops in the pot or skillet and sauté until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side, and then set aside.
In the same skillet add the sauerkraut, beer, broth, and onion powder let simmer for about 5-6 minutes. Next add the pork chops and any of the juices which may be on the plate, back to the skillet along with the fresh rosemary and pepper, cover and let simmer on low heat for one hour. Serve with hommade applesauce.
This recipe can also be executed in a Crockpot after the sautéing of the pork.
Chris gave this pork and sauerkraut a rating of 9 and said it is his new favorite pork and sauerkraut dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip Advisor